Exterior Painting Tips for Summer
By Ray Willsonn
Exterior painting is the representation of your house to the eyes of the society. It is what the people from the outside make of your house at the first glance.
With the summer season fast approaching, painting the exteriors can be a challenging task due to different factors that include the heat, hot weather, rain and humidity. Even applying simple common sense will greatly minimize many problems associated with hot climate when painting in summer. Below are some useful painting tips for applying exterior painting during summer.
• Surface preparation is one of the most important steps when painting in summer. In truth, it is more important than applying the final finishing coat. Hence, you should prep and clean the exterior surface properly before painting it. Any shortcuts taken can lead to disasters so better be careful.
• Analyze, examine, spot and fix the cracks in the surface of the walls. This process of closing up joints and gaps is referred to as caulking. It is also worth mentioning to make sure to use the correct products for different substrates.
• This one is a no brainer – only use high quality paints and painting materials. The high quality painting material might prove to be a bit expensive but in the long-term it will actually prove to be cheaper.
• Always read the instructions on the label, and for product-specific directions read the MSDS instructions. If you do not understand anything or you have any doubts, call the company for specifics. They should be more than happy to help.
• When it comes to brushes make sure to use rollers and heavy-duty brushes that hold a lot of paint. Generally, thick nap rollers and 4″ high quality brushes should be enough.
• You will probably need around 3-5 different sizes of ladders (or even more depending on the size of your property) to paint. First, understand the safest ways to use the ladders because you could end up hurting yourself. Remember safety comes first.
• When painting in the roofing areas, be sure you take necessary precautions to protect yourself from the sun and minor burns. The roof areas are meant to be hot due to the heat hence remember to apply appropriate skin products and protections.
• During the summer, allow double dry time in hot, humid weather before applying the second coat of painting. Make sure to maintain a wet edge on the surface at all times. Also avoid lap marks and/or pulling paint back off the surface of the wall.
• Maintaining the uniformity of the color is a big difficulty. Ensure that the colors are mixed properly. Colors may vary from can to can so it is better to mix the paint in a separate larger bucket (like in a 5 gallon bucket).
• You should always carry a laser-temperature measurement tool to monitor the surface temperature throughout the task. If it exceeds the limit, immediately stop painting. Avoid painting when the humidity is extremely high or right after a rainstorm. Listen to the weather updates frequently to ensure that there is no heavy rainfall during your painting. The rain can ruin your paint even many hours after application so make sure to give enough time for your paint to dry up.
• Painting the exteriors can be a difficult task so try to avoid as much sun as possible. Make full use of shade if you can. Also, remember to drink lots of water to keep your body hydrated. The risk of heat stroke is imminent when working in hot weather condition.
Exterior painting is not as easy as it looks and is definitely going to take longer than you might think. Please be careful, because your body is probably not used to working in the heat, or climbing or moving ladders. Carelessness may lead to back injuries, muscle strains and falling off ladders are more common than you might have expected. Therefore, it may be a good idea to hire a professional.
A1 Pro understands the means and methods of exterior paintings. Our professional workers are used to creating wonderful exterior walls. We are one of the premier exterior painting companies in Greenville SC. We are equipped with the best equipment and tools used in the industry. So, why not hire our team to get your job done on time and with great efficiency. Impress your neighbors with a professional looking exterior painted by your very own A1 Pro in Greenville South Carolina and throughout the upstate.
Call A1 Pro today for help with all your home repair needs, 864-329-5810!
Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Ray_Willsonn/2094830